Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Accident

So I get home at lunch time and look out on my back "porch" and this is what I see just outside the sliding door.



I'm thinking now that some poor little bird has fallen out of its nest and now it has been abandoned. It is always odd to me that we can all of the sudden really care about something that we don't know and may never see again.

My mom was driving down Telegraph Rd. We were probably heading back from skating but I don't recall. The area was still somewhat new as we had moved there only about six months before. The tricky thing is that all of the street lights hang from wires suspended above the intersections here, not on posts in the middle of the intersection like in Wisconsin. So she made a simple mistake. We were all ok, but the other car was different. There was blood. My mom lost it. Here we are--the oldest of us in middle school--having to comfort my mom, having to take control.

The bird was just fine. It was actually an older bird that had puffed its feathers out to stay warm. It flew away as soon as I opened the door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dj--

you might me remember me from that one time we did that fun stuff. or from another time. i should be working on my paper right now but i got your email which led me to your pretty-looking blog which contains a fairly dark collection of blogettes. i want you to know that i love you and if you ever doubt that, i'll remind you.