Tuesday, November 01, 2005

procrastination

I haven't posted since I was a citizen of the great state of North Carolina. For those of you who are out of the loop, I'm now living in the beautiful confines of Brookhaven National Lab about 75 miles east of New York City on Long Island. So, I'm pretty much living in a scientific monastery. Vows of silence are unnecessary here because you are unlikely to have to opportunity to speak to anyone in the normal course of a day. As anticipated, the move up here has been taxing on a personal level--leaving all my friends in Raleigh behind--but has been incredibly productive on a PhD-progression level.

I have been heading into NYC whenever I get a chance. I have several close friends living there, so visiting the city is sort of me time of interpersonal relations recharging. I haven't really made much of an effort to get to know people at the lab, partially because people don't seem to be particularly friendly--not that people are mean, they just have their own thing going on--and partially because I really want to keep my focus on writing my dissertation until I defend in December.

Well that's enough procrastinating for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well honestly, I was hoping for something cheap and taboo-if not for me, for the the people-you know so they'd have something to talk about.

You should be defending your dissertation about now and I hope that with the new year comes a renewed sense of social freedom and ambition. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

-Barb